- Please Introduce yourself
Darshan Yewalekar, a small town boy, trying to make his mark in the dream city, Mumbai. Age - 25 yrs. Hair styling since 8 years.
- A little bit about your hair training schooling background
Done the basics from Jasbir's (Jasbir Arora), Pune in 2003.
- Where did you learn the art and skills
1st job a Hakim's Aalim. With him for 6 years. In that span attended all seminars and in-salon workshops. Hands on training in editorial work ( cut & styling)
- Why and when did you know you wanted to become a hair stylist
at the age of 16, just after my 12th results, applied for army and Aeronautical enggning. Couldn’t afford to study in the big city. Mom being a beautician, I had a good understanding of these things. She suggested hair styling and knowing my creative side, dad agreed too. frankly, i agreed only to get out from the small town and into the metro. my 8 years of travel in this industry shows my love and trust towards it.
- How did you get your start in the industry?And how long have you been in the industry?
real uplift happened with Hakim's Aalim, where I learnt the real meaning of creative hair styling. My 6 years journey with them changed my life.
- What is your personal style
Preety Casual about my dressing sense. I like it simple. Fond of shoes and watches. My manager thinks I am a little filmy, but I guess it comes to you with the company I had.
- What inspires you?
for me, inspiration is many things. Personalities like sachin tendulkar, charlie chaplin, and roman abramovich inspire me by their focused hardwork and drive to achieve targets. Museums, nature, travel are few important platforms.
- Who inspires you?
Anthony Wittikar - for his style and vision and Alice Dace - for her creativity and team work
- What is your favourite kind of hair to work with?
I prefer working with difficult and unmanagable hair. Its challenging and gives me the ardeline rush to achieve the style.
- What is your favourite hair look?
editorial and high fashion hair is my favourite.
- Have you worked with any celebrity clients?who are some of your favourites?
Salman Khan for 6 years. Mahesh Manjerekar, Sanjay Dutt, Saif Ali Khan, Anil Kapoor, Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Ranbir Kapoor to name a few.
- What are your favourite hair products?
I love working with dry and matt products. Hairspray is my third arm.
- Which styling tools do you use most often?
scissors, dryer and tail comb.
- What are some good tips for young people trying to break into the industry?
it is not a proffesion. It is a hobby. You need to be ready to give your time and hard work. But remember it’s an artistic and creative profession and creativity reflects on the creators personality. So being a good human being is important.
- How do you feel hair relates to personal style
hair is the 1st attention seeker in any person. It defines your personality. Hair cuts and hair styles fall in different brackets (school haircuts, corporate haircuts, etc). It’s a signature of your face. Hair cuts and styles can make a person look beautiful and that helps them to carry themselves in public. that automatically increases their confidence.
- Are there any types of products you would advise people to stay away from?
there are many styling and care products available in the market. Chossing the right kind of product for your type of hair is very important. So you should always be aware of your hair type and be away from those products which are not for your hairtype.
- What are some of your hair styling do's and don’ts?
Do's: use proper shampoo and conditioner. Regularly trim the hair. Proper products for the hair type. Technical procedures done by professionals regularly Don’t's: do not be rough with your hair while combing and drying, do not change your hair stylist very often,do not do any technical processes like straightning or colouring at home.
- What hairstyles would you advice for the following face types:
Oblong: not creating too much weight on top of the head. Square at the sides, maintaining the length.
- Oblong, oval, round, rectangular, square, triangular, diamond, inverted, heart.
Oval: all types of hairstyles go on this type of face shape. Round: keep it square and weight on the recession line. Rectangular: round at the edges of recession. More weight on the top of the head and taperred ends. Square: fringes on the front hair till the chin covering the jaw. Weight on top of the head to create length. Round layering. Diamond: shoulder and below. Creating weight at temple area and frame both sides of the chin. Long curls and waves will work. Inverted: lot of weight on top of the head. Fine at the bottom. Short hair and fringes will be good for this. Heart: less weight at the top and back of the head. Maintaining weight between chin and shoulder area. Hair on the face.
- Quick tips for: Hair loss, Oily or imp hair, Dry or damaged hair, itchy scalp, and dandruffs.
Hair loss: it happens mainly because of tension, improper diet, genetic, and weather & water difference during travelling. Oily/ Limp hair: over secreation of sebum and weather change. Itchy Scalp: not shampooing properly. Deposit of dust particles. Dandruff: aging scalp
- What products from Saks would you suggest for the above problems? And what services?
Hair loss: bain prevention Ritual: aminexil Oily / Limp hair: 1) bain clarifiant 2)volume Activ 3) bain divalo Ritual: Dry/ Damaged hair: Itchy Scalp: Sensi balance Dandruff: 1) bain gommage 2) peeling purification 3) power clear Ritual:
- Which current hair trend so you like?(Abroad and India)
Abroad: long curls, layers India: disconnected haircuts
- Which hair trend do you think will make the waves next (Abroad and India)
retro is coming back in fashion. Curls and waves.
- Which indian do you think has a very trendy hairstyle?
hrithik roshan and sonam kapoor
- Your experience with Saks? Are you excited Saks has finally come to India?
to be associated with saks is like being in a facility at oxford. The experiece is completely professional and its helping me to define my creative side. Saks gives a complete control over my work.
- Why would you suggest Saks to anyone?
its ambiance, the back wash, the complete professional and qualified team at saks is the USP of SAKS
- Saks product or service that you think defines the salon and makes it unique?
the hair rituals and the skin treatments with the unique and professional products is what makes the experience at SAKS unique.